Thursday, August 6, 2009

Let me explain....

Has it really been two months since I added a post to this thing called blog? And what a post to leave on. A bit maudlin, don't you think? I'm not even sure where to begin with all that has transpired over the summer. Rather than bore you all to tears with any drawn out reminiscing, let's hit the highlights, shall we?

Dave has been traveling quite extensively for work. While it's been fabulous for him to see and do some of things he has seen and done (Don't ask! He can't tell!), the girls and I decided we like our family considerably more when we have "our Dave" around. On the bright side, Dave has a job. And a darn fine one at that!

The girls experienced yet another marvelous birthday week. (For those keeping score, they turned five and three and yes, their birthdays are a day apart.) We dined. We partied. Their beds got magnificent princess makeovers. The Ariel and Tinker Bell cakes were a hit. And I felt just a little sad as I marked the occasions of my little buddies getting bigger and more independent.

I finally finished the chapter from h&%# and sent it off to my advisor. The response? Split it in half, double it's length and detail, and voila! You shall have two chapters from one. The bright side? My advisor is finally convinced that I have the makings of a strong dissertation. Thank goodness!

So where does that leave us now?

Dave is working insane hours solidifying his position and projects for the next round of layoffs that are due next month. He is also preparing for his PhD qualification exams next week. Good times! At least GI Joe comes out this weekend. It will be manna for his soul!

I am diving into the revisions to try to get the very first, FULL draft of my thesis to my advisor by the end of next month. Tears will be shed. Gelato will be consumed. And there will be much rejoicing. I am also working on developing a religious studies curriculum for a new academic institute that is in the works. Tentatively named the Institute for Religion, Government, and Diplomacy (or Community, depending on what day it is) it looks like it could be an amazing resource for all of the area universities. (And it may be a real life academic gig for me. As for now, it's all pro bono, baby!)

Ellie starts kindergarten in two and a half weeks. (Remember in the epilogue to Harry Potter when he describes his son leaving for Hogwarts as a little bereavement? Yup. It kind of feels like that.) She alternates between excited and nervous, but is ready to be a big girl. Ellie has also decided that it is her calling in life to be a ballerina. Thus, ballet has been added to her fall schedule. And she can hardly wait. In truth, neither can I!

Ginny starts preschool at the beginning of September and has no fear whatsoever. She is ready to go. To meet and greet. To charm and amaze. Her summer has been focused on mastering the one physical skill required to enter said preschool. (For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, my sincerest apologies. I'm not about to discuss it here!) Ginny reminds me every day that she isn't little. And that she is lovely. I cannot argue with her there! (At least on the lovely part. She will always be my little munchkin.)

So there you have it. The life and times of our family. Riveting, no? I would promise to do better in the coming months, but let's be honest. A prodigious blogger I am not. Nevertheless, I shall endeavor to offer the occasional glimpse into the wonderful insanity that is our life. For now, the girls are hungry. And there are peanut butter sandwiches to be made! Tally ho!

3 comments:

B/T Frank said...

When you guys find time in your schedules to go out let us know. Ben and Dave wanted to have hug fest before Ben splits!

O'Berrys said...

Dang girl I miss you SO much!! Sorry I have been such a terrible friend in writing you. Corin is starting preschool too, CRAZY!! And we as well are working on that physical requirement, which is frustrating me to say he least! Love you TONS!!

Mia said...

I love love love love love it when you post. You always have such fun stuff going on in your life... but I won't ask since you can't tell ;) So glad that you 1/2 of 2 chapters already, that is a great start in the right direction!