Monday, June 9, 2008

I am the Very Model of Modern Productivity

This morning I needed to call the Office of Financial Aid at CU and discuss a mix up with my application. Yes, I am still on the "take" as it were to fund my education. (Not for long, however. May 2010 I am DONE. Mark your calendars!) Being the responsible human being that I am, and realizing that the "to-do" list for today won't allow for such frippery as phone calls securing my educational funding, I was on the phone when the office opened at 9:00.
Things were going swimmingly. I didn't have to wait too long to speak to an advisor (relatively speaking - 10 minutes is nothing!) and we were off and on our way. That is until the mom thing imposed itself over the student thing. First Ellie needed some help in the bathroom. (I shall spare you the details.) Then Ginny began to wail when she couldn't find her Bink or her stuffed monkey named Bubbles. (The name has nothing to do with Michael Jackson and the monkey has everything to do with the fact that her sister has one.) In the midst of potty issues, finding various pieces of clothing, locating said monkey and Binky, and trying to keep the general din to a minimum, I lost the call.
I am ashamed to admit a momentary lapse of composure ensued (yes, I shouted at my children to be quiet) while I tried to reconnect with said Office of Financial Aid. This time around, however, the wait had inexplicably doubled. Those extra minutes were put to good use as I needed to offer a contrite mea culpa to my girls for the aforementioned outburst, replace a piece of toast usurped by a younger sister, find a comfy pair of panties (not for me, incidentally), and remove an "icky bogey" from Ginny's nose. (We started calling them bogeys because we thought it would be a more charming and therefore less disgusting way to refer to them. I'm not sure why we thought that.) All the while I carefully cradled my phone as if it were the Holy Grail itself. I was NOT losing the call again.
After the better part of a half hour, we finally achieved success. I managed to reconnect with the necessary people regarding my financial aid, we straightened out the problem and I was able to turn my attention to my veritable novel of a to-do list. Let it not be said that life isn't interesting at the very least. And now if you'll excuse me, I have yet to find the Dora panties without the "creepy monkey."

2 comments:

Mia said...

Wow, your post suddenly makes me miss working in the financial aid office at CU. I'm glad that they got it all worked out for you. Reed loves that creepy little monkey ;) But thankfully they don't make Dora underwear for boys.

Deb said...

i absolutely dread making phone calls these days. i try to schedule them for times when everyone's asleep. otherwise, we have similar chaos. although, we don't have any dora issues here.