Sunday, May 18, 2008

What's in a name?

Ah the profundity of a guilt complex! For months I have relished the opportunity to reconnect with friends and family through their insightful and often pithy blog entries. In spite of my own complete failure to maintain contact with anyone with whom I do not share DNA, I have been able to remain abreast of the sundry goings on in others' lives. As of late, however, I decided this borders on a kind of veuyerism - watching others (through publicly accessible virtual spaces, mind you!) while maintaining my own relative anonymity. So in an act of contrition (and an uncomfortable one at that) I decided to attempt to start a blog of my own. It is a small - and terribly awkward - offering to the virtual world in hopes that what were once lopsided friendships will find greater equilibrium.
As for the blog itself, my husband informed me that I may need to provide some explanation for what apparently is a rather enigmatic title. In my previous life as a full-time grad student at the University of Colorado, I would occasionally indulge in what my fabulous friend Portia and I called Boo Radley Syndrome. (Please see Harper Lee's amazing book To Kill a Mockingbird for further clarification.) This condition manifested itself by the desire to disappear into one's home, often with comfort food and a great book, and hide from the general public for a time. Since moving away from CU and increasing our family size by 50%, I regret to admit that Boo Radley Syndrome seems to have become a way of life for me. What can I say? Trying to be mom, wife, housekeeper, and scholar is rather....distracting. Just trying to keep the jam off of my thesis notes could constitute a full time job! So with this blog, I hereby attempt to fend off my Boo Radley tendencies and take a few steps back into the outside world.

No comments: